Evaluation of UK’s international obligations
- GCM Indicators: Objective 10: Prevent, combat and eradicate trafficking in persons in the context of international migration
Blog post written by Dr Jean-Pierre Gauci and Francesca Romana Partipilo (British Institute of International and Comparative Law)
The UK at the G7
- How is Boris Johnson’s Britain viewed in other G7 countries? The Guardian panel responds.
- Prime Minister Boris Johnson made a statement at the G7 Summit. in which he addressed the Amazon fires and made a biodiversity plea.
- Britain’s Boris Johnson has pledged to give £90m to help children in war zones go to school. He commented that “Girl’s education is the Swiss Army knife that solves a multitude of the world’s problems. Everyone benefits from a world where girls have the same opportunities as their brothers.”
- The G7 leaders have been told to get rid of discriminatory gender laws that still exist on their statute books and begin enshrining equal rights in the legal system. The Guardian has more.
The UK’s post-Brexit relationship with the EU
- Parliament suspension sparks protests across the country and a petition with more than a million signatures.
- Boris Johnson’s decision to suspend Parliament is a “constitutional outrage” designed to stop MPs debating Brexit, John Bercow has declared. He is said to be “colluding” with Tory rebel Sir Oliver Letwin from his holiday in Turkey, in a bid to block the suspension of Parliament. The Daily Telegraph has more.
- MPs and lawyers battle to block Johnson attempt to prorogue parliament. Lawyers for the campaigner Gina Miller have made an urgent application to the High Court for a judicial review of Boris Johnson’s plan to prorogue parliament. Legal challenges have been brought before the Northern Irish and Scottish courts. Follow the Guardian’s live updates here.
- A Labour MP has suggested the monarchy could be abolished after the Queen approved Boris Johnson’s plan to suspend Parliament.
- Ruth Davidson has quit as Scottish Tory leader. Sources cite irreconcilable differences with Boris Johnson over Brexit and pressures of motherhood.